Sunday, March 2, 2008

Notes of Devotion: Tori Close

Are You Wearing A Cat Hat?

I’ve always known that I tend to put other people, and other things, before myself. Mostly, I do it with a willing heart, knowing that it is simply because I have a lot of love to share. However, I didn’t realize just how much I put myself aside until the other night in bed.

I was lying there trying to relax, when I realized my neck was hurting because our six-month old kitty was blissfully slumbering on the top of my head. Maximus had positioned himself so that he was curled up in a perfect circle; just like a coonskin cap. I had a literal cat hat.

I shifted this way and that way, but each time I did, he would simply relax even more. Pretty soon, I was laying on the very edge of my pillow. I was getting frustrated. I was tired, and I wanted to get some rest. Morning comes way too soon as it is.

After trying three or four more times to move him up further on the pillow without disturbing him, (and being utterly unsuccessful in the attempt), I actually had to laugh at myself. It’s 1:00 in the morning, my neck is hurting, and here I am worrying about disturbing the cat!

I finally just sat up and moved him, but then I started thinking. How often do we put our own wants, desires, and even needs aside because we don’t want to seem selfish? How many times do we allow ourselves to get into an uncomfortable, or uncharitable frame of mind because we don’t know how to step up and say no?

Of course the Lord wants us to serve others. It’s a gift of love that we can give to someone in need. It’s a beautiful thing to be able to give of ourselves, simply because we love. We do, however, have to find the correct balance.

What good does it do to constantly be putting our own needs aside to help another, when it only ends up in a poor attitude or buried anger? A grumpy heart doesn’t promote good spiritual health, and it certainly isn’t a service to the Lord.

We need to make sure we take the time to nourish ourselves before we can truly be of help to anyone else. Our hearts, minds, and bodies need to be appropriately taken care of if we sincerely want to be a servant for the Lord.

Are you wearing a cat hat?

If so, take some time to re-evaluate your life. Maybe you need to cut back on some of your volunteer work, or set aside some daily time for yourself. It could be that you simply need more time with the Lord. (Unfortunately we can let our personal time with Christ slip when we try to do too much for others!)

Or maybe, just maybe, you need a few good nights of real sleep … without wearing a cat hat!
“Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:28-29)

©2007 Tori Close

Tori is a freelance writer, photographer, and web designer living in the beautiful state of Montana. She is happily married, and has two children and one grandbaby whom she adores. She has always had a passion for the written word, and believes that the Lord is directing her to a full-time writing career.
You can visit Tori at:
www.toriclose.com and coming soon, at www.heartfriendz.com where she will be launching an online magazine devoted to Christian women.

No comments: