Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Notes of Devotion: Pamela James

A Clean Slate
by Pamela James

2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

You try hard to eat right, keep your calories under 1,600 and suddenly temptation smacks you between the eyes and you blow it, big time. What do you do? Call the whole day a bomb and eat everything and anything you want? Or do you take the goof in stride and reign yourself in, promising extra time on the treadmill in the morning?

Why do people begin diets (and other good habits) on New Year’s Day? On a Sunday, or a Monday? In the morning?

It’s because of the clean slate feeling. Somehow it feels wrong to pop that new healthy habit in the middle of a day that’s already sullied by. . .well, life.

I think some people approach their Christianity the same way. We think we can’t be blameless. We don’t see ourself as sinless. We’ve all sinned, the Bible says so. The enemy would like us to believe we can’t start over with a clean slate. We’ll never be perfect. But that’s a lie!

If we were already perfect we wouldn’t need the blood of Christ. And it is through the blood of Christ that we can be blameless and pure in the eyes of our Father in Heaven.

Purity rings are quite popular right now. My niece got one recently. I even saw one for the young lady who’d already been sexually active but had changed her ways. She can ask Jesus to cleanse her and she becomes blameless in His eyes (and should be in our eyes as well).

Best of all, this cleansing can come at any moment. Any minute of any day can be your clean slate. Your new beginning.


Dear Heavenly Father,

I know sometimes I fail. I ask You to look into my heart and forgive me of my trespasses, heal the wounds my failures have caused in me and others, and wash me clean. Give me a clean slate. Let me know I am pure and beautiful in Your sight. Let me share that peace and joy with others. In my Precious Savior's Name, Amen

No comments: