Thursday, December 4, 2008

Author of Note - Diane Wylie

Our Author of Note this month is Diane Wylie. Diane and I are both published through Vintage Romance Publishing, and I have come to like and respect Diane through our author group. It is a distinct pleasure to welcome this talented lady to my newsletter. I know you will all enjoy our visit with her.


Welcome to The Bookshelf, Diane! It’s always fun to interview a fellow Vintage Romance author.


Before I start asking a bunch of random, off-the-cuff questions, let’s find out who you are. Tell us about yourself – not the author. Who is Diane Wylie, the lady next door?


Hello, and thank you for having me at The Bookshelf. Well, let me see… I consider myself to be a scientifically-minded romantic, if there can be such a thing. I received my Bachelor of Science from Cook College at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Yes, I am originally a Jerseyite, but now live with my husband and two children in Maryland. I have been a veterinary technician, cancer research technician, high school biology teacher, but now I am a technical writer. So that is my science side.

I must have inherited my romantic side. My father was always a hopeless romantic, so I guess it rubbed off on me. My romantic side also comes from the loving relationship I have with my husband of 28 years. He is very supportive of my writing and I will always be grateful to him.

See, I just knew you were an interesting lady! Now we can talk about your books. How many published books have you written?


I’ve had two books published, both are Civil War romances, Secrets and Sacrifices and Jenny’s Passion.


I know Jenny's Passion is your newest release – tell us about it.


Jenny’s Passion is what I would call the book of my heart. The Civil War period has been a favorite of mine since I first saw Gone with the Wind. I have done a lot of research on the time period, visited battlefields, and attended reenactments. But most of the Civil War romances I read left me slightly dissatisfied. The primary emphasis always seemed to be on the Southern Belle. What about the soldiers, the ones who went into battle and gave their lives for their country? So I set out to write a story that told of the soldier’s emotions and heartache along with a woman’s agony over the potential loss of her beloved. As anyone who has read the story of David and Jenny will tell you, I go deeply into the emotions of both characters through their struggle to survive this devastating period in their lives and find love for each other.


Hint: The second in the series, Lila’s Vow, is coming out March 2009.


How long have you been writing? Was there an “aha” moment when you knew you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve been writing fiction for nine years now. I guess I originally tried writing just to see if I could do it, as a kind of challenge to myself. My first manuscript never made it to print, but I learned a lot along the way.


How much time do you devote to your craft?


I spend as much time as I can to writing and promoting my work. Perhaps some day I will be able to quit that day job and write fiction full time, but not yet. I have to snatch the time where I can get it now. Most of that time comes on the weekends.


Any advice for new and aspiring writers?


Just don’t give up, keep writing and keep reading, that is the best way to learn your craft.


Now for that off-the-cuff stuff I mentioned….If you could ask any person, living or dead, a random question – what question would you ask of whom?


Hmm...that is a good question. I think I’d like to ask Margaret Mitchell why she didn’t write a sequel to Gone with the Wind.


What crayon in the box describes you best on a good day? Bad day?


On a good day—Christmas Red

On a bad day—Midnight Black


You’re going on a very long trip. Which of the following will you take with you?


Book: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Music: Anything by Josh Groban

Person: My husband

Food: Chicken salad wrap


What would you do today if you knew you had only a week to live?


I would go visit every one of my family and friends and eat lots of chocolate.


What word annoys you more than any other?


Can’t


What “super power” would you like to borrow for awhile?


I would love to fly!


What’s your favorite chore? Least favorite?


Painting is my favorite. My least favorite is cleaning bathrooms.


Anything you'd like to do but don't because of some underlying fear?


Ride those upside down roller coasters. I would love to, but they scare me to death!


Share a grammatical pet peeve...go ahead, sound off.


Misuse of “its” and “it’s.”


Share a societal pet peeve...here’s your chance to blast ‘em.


Athletics, like baseball players, that spit all the time…Yuk!!


Thank you for hanging out at The Bookshelf for awhile, Diane! We can’t wait to read Jenny’s Passion! When and where can we get it?


The official release date was November 30, 2008. You can get it online at Amazon, Books-a-Million, and Barnes and Noble, or order it through your favorite bookstore:


Jenny’s Passion by Diane Wylie


ISBN-10: 0981559247

ISBN-13: 978-0981559247


Thanks so much for having me at The Bookshelf. It’s been fun!


About Diane:


Diane Wylie makes her home in Maryland with her husband, Ed, a former racecar driver, and two wonderful children. During the day Diane is an award-winning technical writer for a training-based company in Maryland.


Visit Diane’s website: http://www.dianewylie.com to learn more about her and her upcoming novels.

No comments: