Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Author of Note - Cynthia Hickey


Welcome to The Bookshelf, Cynthia! Before I start asking a lot of off-the-cuff questions, let’s find out who you are. Tell us about Cynthia Hickey, the lady next door.

My husband and I have a yours, mine, and ours family. Two of our seven children still live at home. When they move out, I’m throwing a party! We also have five adorable grandchildren. My day job is Detention Monitor at the local elementary school. Believe or not, this is when I get most of my writing done.


Wow - what an unusual "writing nook"! I just knew you were an interesting lady. Now we can talk about your books. How many do you have published?


Let’s not count my three PODs, okay? Fudge-Laced Felonies is released for retail the end of January 2009. Candy-Coated Secrets, book two in the Summer Meadows series, is shipped to Barbour’s Mystery book club at the same time and retails the end of June 2009. Chocolate-Covered Crime is released to the book club in October 2009.

How exciting for you! Tell us about Fudge-laced Felonies, since it will be the first one available.


Summer Meadows entered church on Sunday, not to find God, but to search for a killer.While transplanting the rosebush her church's handsome Sunday school teacher, Ethan Banning inadvertently killed, Summer and Ethan discover a hidden stash of diamonds, a rusty can full of cash, and a bloody gardening glove. This discovery sets Summer and her candy-making aunt on a search for a killer.

As Summer gets close to the truth, not only of the theft, but of her true feelings for Ethan, the diamond thief hatches a plan to hush the feisty sleuth.

Ethan's love for Summer stays buried beneath his teasing, waiting until God tells him it is time to declare his feelings. Meanwhile, Summer's quirky and daring resolve to solve the case has him acting in a heavy-handed manner in order to protect her, and almost pushes her away.


How long have you been writing? Was there an “aha” moment when you knew you wanted to be a writer?


I’ve been making up stories since I was a kid. It wasn’t until I turned 40 that I did something about it.


No way are you 40! How much time do you devote to your craft?


Whenever possible. At least a couple of hours a day. Someday, God willing, I’d like to be able to afford to stay home and write full time.

Careful what you wish for.... Any advice for new and aspiring writers?


Never give up. Pray. Learn the craft. I know this sounds routine, but it works. Be ready for when God opens the door.


Now for that off-the-cuff stuff I mentioned.

If you could ask any person, living or dead, a random question – what question would you ask of whom?

You know, I’ve always wanted to ask Eve why she bit that fruit!

I'm sure every woman has wanted to say something to Eve.... What crayon in the box describes you best on a good day? Bad day?

Good day? Red. Bad day? Black. I’m a woman of extremes.


You’re going on a very long trip. Which of the following will you take with you?
Book: Bible
Music
: Third Day

Person: My husband
Food
: Dark chocolate M&Ms


What would you do today if you knew you had only a week to live?

Spend it with my family. Memories are the best thing I can leave them.

That is so true! What word annoys you more than any other? Why?

What “super power” would you like to borrow for awhile?
Oh, I would love to fly!

Me, too! Am I weird, or has everyone actually dreamed they were flying at some time in their lives?

Back to you.... What’s your favorite chore? Least favorite?


I don’t mind doing dishes. I like the smell of dish soap. Folding laundry is the worst. It’s so boring!

Anything you'd like to do but don't because of some underlying fear?

You may not believe this, but I can’t think of anything. I do have a bucket list. LOL. So far I’ve managed to scratch off write a book, get it published, ride an elephant, see my children grow up, see my grandchildren, go parasailing, see Hawaii.

Hey, you're doing well! Keep it up! Share a grammatical pet peeve…go ahead, sound off.


THAT THAT THAT, JUST JUST JUST. I hate the clutter words.


Share a societal pet peeve…here’s your chance to blast ‘em.

Lying. Can’t stand it. Be who you are. I am. If people don’t like you, they weren’t worth hanging around with in the first place.

Amen and amen! Thank you for hanging out at The Bookshelf for awhile, Cynthia! We can’t wait to read Fudge-Laced Felonies! When and where can we get it?


It’s available for pre-order at Amazon. After the end of January, you can find it at any retail store. Wonderful, huh?


Truly wonderful! Thanks again, Cynthia, and we hope you sell a million!

Cynthia is the mother of seven! Three step-children, one birth child, and three adopted children. She has five grandchildren. She and her husband live in Arizona, surrounded by their children. Story telling is in her blood. She can't imagine doing anything else and has made up stories since she was a child.


Visit Cynthia at her website


4 comments:

LuAnn said...

I certainly like Cynthia's idea of not forgetting the M&Ms when going on a trip! Definitely a must have!

Delia Latham said...

OH, yeah! Me too! Gotta have the chocolate.

Shirley Kiger Connolly said...

Wonderful interview. Thank you so much.

Delia Latham said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Shirley!