Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Notes of Devotion - Christine Miller

This month concludes Christine Miller's "Names of God" series. We have enjoyed each month's subject immensely. Thank you, Chris, for sharing your thoughts with us on The Bookshelf!



EL ELYON—God Most High

by Christine Miller

Isaiah 46:9&10: “I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is no one like Me. My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure.”

This is my favorite name of God. It has stayed and strengthened me through every trial and is the name that has brought me comfort and courage, even in the throes of adversity. Why? Because He is on the throne. He is sovereign—because He loves me and I am His. Therefore, I can know and walk in the light of Romans 8:28: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” I can know that even if He chooses to direct my life in a way I would not have chosen, I can trust that it will all work out for my good and, more importantly, for His glory.

A perfect example of this is seen in the life of Joseph. His brothers were extremely jealous of him and had plotted his death. He was thrown into a pit and sold to be a slave in Egypt. He had every reason to be bitter, to be angry and to blame God. But he chose to see with the eyes of faith. He found refuge in the strong tower of his El Elyon: “Then Joseph said to his brothers, ‘Please come closer to me’. And they came closer. And he said, ‘I am your brother Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. Now do not be grieved or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are still five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvesting. God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on the earth, and to keep you alive for a great deliverance. Know, therefore, it was not you who sent me here, but God.’” And later on in Genesis 50:19-20, Joseph says to his brothers: “Do not be afraid for I am in God’s place. As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this recent result, to preserve many people alive.”

God is God; and His purposes will be accomplished. Isaiah 14:24,27 states: “The Lord of hosts has sworn saying, ‘Surely, just as I have intended, so it has happened, and just as I have planned, so it will stand…For the Lord of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?”


We can know with blessed assurance that everything that crosses our path and comes into our lives has been permitted by the sovereign hand of God. Trust Him; rest in Him; allow Him to work out His good purpose…in YOU!


Father, help us to remember every moment of our lives that You are El Elyon – God Most High! Every event in our lives is orchestrated in some way by Your hand, and we can trust You to work it all out to our good…and Your glory! Amen

No comments: