Saturday, May 2, 2009

Notes of Devotion - Terri Haynes


A Proverbs 19:21 Day


A Proverbs 19:21 Day


Proverbs 19:21(NIV) Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.


I live by a To Do list. It sits right by my computer on my desk where I can see it. Even though I’m a stay-at-home-mom, sometimes my days are as busy as someone with a full-time job. For some reason, I thought my days would be less hectic but that has not been the case. I’ve found that a To Do list is a necessity.


I have so many things to do that I have to plan efficiently. I have my list, my calendar and my PDA to keep me straight. My planning normally begins just before I go to bed. I jot down the things I have to do so I can gauge how early I need to be firmly planted at my desk. I plan my writing, graphic design time, home school time, phone calls and emails. At one point, my days were so full that I started including meals on my list.


When I write my To Do list, I often put items in order by timeliness and importance. The more pressing things go at the top of my list. Other things, that may be important later, go to the bottom of my list. Some days, my list feels infinite. I cross off a task as I complete it, but sadly, that task is quickly replaced by another.


But one day I noticed something about my list: It’s mine. I have my days scheduled in a way that’s comfortable for me and to my liking. It’s all me, and my list has become my warden. If God were to flip the script on me and tell me to do something different, even something little, my list would be useless. I plan and ask the Lord to help me to do everything on my list because it would take divine intervention to get it all done in one day.


Unfortunately, God didn’t intended for our days to be laden with our own busyness. Proverbs 19:21 reads, “Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.” When I look at my list written on my pink flowery paper, it’s clear that I’ve chosen to be busy instead of prevailing with the plans of the Lord. God has planned out my life on an eternal To Do list, and His list is better than mine.


Oh, for the day that my To Do list is full of the Lord’s plans. We need to have more Proverbs 19:21 days. What would that look like? Would it be different than my list? I’m sure it would because sometimes after working, I don’t feel the comfort that comes from doing something eternal. I find myself feeling empty and useless, even when I get most things on my list done. I don’t feel like I’ve prevailed.


I want to see the Lord in all of His glory on my To Do list. So often we ask to see the Lord in our religious activities, but we don’t think it’s odd that we don’t see His glory in our everyday life. What good is the glory if it doesn’t affect the simplest things in life? We all need our plans to look like God’s plans. Or else, we’re just busy.



About Terri: Terri J. Haynes is a writer and freelance graphic artist. She holds a Masters in Theological Studies and is an adjunct professor at National Bible College and Seminary. Terri and her husband are the leaders of Joshua Generation, a ministry for young adults ages 18-35. Her publishing credits include Cup of Comfort for Military Families and a devotional in The Secret Place. She lives in Maryland with her husband. and three children.

http://terrijhaynes.com/

No comments: