Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Special Note - Julie Dearyan

Julie Dearyan

I Can Get Everything Done...


Really, I can.


1. Sweep garage

2. Move forward edits on fiction, The Last Noelle

3. Finish nonfiction book proposal

4. Find receipts for writing expenses at bottom of purse and file them

5. Help child with lizard project

6. Fix dinner

7. Comfort a hurting friend

8. Give someone a compliment

9. Read a Proverb

10. Exercise (just a walk would be good! Use time to reflect on Proverb)

11. Practice piano


Okay, so I can’t.


Every morning, I am full and energy and I’m sure I will be able to get everything done on my list. By the end of the day, I wearily read through my list and see that I only comforted a hurting friend, read a Proverb, and encouraged someone.


Frustration sets in. I wished that I’d had the energy and the foresight to plan and get everything done. Maybe if I read a new book on organization (when would I find time to do that?) or planned my time better, I would get more done.


Then I look at what I did accomplish. I did comfort a friend. I somehow had time to read a Proverb. And when someone came my way who needed encouragement, I took the time I needed to make that happen.


God is the reason I have a list. He gave me breath and energy and the ability to accomplish stuff. And what I got done was exactly what He wanted me to get done. I read once that the Christian can get everything done that he needs to get done. Why? Because what God has for us to do, we can accomplish. We will probably never get everything done that we want to get done but we can do what God wants us to do. His list isn’t a burden—it is a delight. His yoke is easy and His burden is light.


Our list isn’t important. Stuff won’t matter in eternity. But when people come my way who need a bit of encouragement, I better be ready. When a hurting friend comes to see me, I want to be there with a hug. And if I don’t stay deep in the Word of God, I won’t have the wisdom and energy to love others the way I’m commanded to love.


Take a moment to look at your list. Are you too preoccupied with all the things you need to accomplish instead of what God wants you to do?


I would like to sweep the garage and finish the edits but maybe that can wait for a day or two.


Lord, help me to depend on you for the strength to get the things done that You would have me to do.


Julie Scudder Dearyan is the editor of Victory in Grace. She has been published in Clubhouse, Focus on the Family, Marriage Partnership, and other publications. Her fiction has finaled in the Genesis Contest and RWA’s Get Your Stiletto in the door contest.


Visit Julie's website


1 comment:

Lisa Lickel said...

Amen, Julie!
Way to say it. Thanks much for the constant encouragement wherever I find you.
Lisa