Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Author of Note - Michelle Sutton


I’m delighted to welcome Michelle Sutton to The Bookshelf. Michelle, before we talk about your books, we want to find out who you are. We’ll also have some fun with a few questions, but first … tell us about yourself. Who is Michelle Sutton, the gal next door?

Well, for one thing the next-door neighbor is a good distance from me since all the homeowners around where I live are on 4+ acre lots. Most have horses, too, but we don't have them because they are so expensive to maintain. So now that we have established that I live in the country, I'll tell you I actually grew up in the city in Central New York. Then I moved to Phoenix, Arizona in 1991 and that city is huge. In 2001 our family moved to the country where I currently reside. I've lived with my husband and kids in Arizona for eighteen years now. My two sons are nearly out of high school. Life is good right now. We have a great church and wonderful friends. I couldn't ask for more. For work, I'm employed by the government and I write fiction on the side, among other things. I'm pretty busy most of the time.

Tell us a little about your publishing journey. I understand Danger at the Door is your latest release. Care to share a bit about that one?

Actually Danger at the Door released August 1st and It's Not About Him released September 1st so that is my latest release. But Danger at the Door is my first e-book released. I'm pretty excited about Danger at the Door. It was the best-seller for August (of all of the titles listed on the Desert Breeze site) when it was released that month.

Well, now that I have my facts straight… :D You should be excited! How long have you been writing? Was there an “aha” moment when you knew you wanted to be a writer?

I started in August of 2003. I just sat down and started writing. I couldn't stop.

Wow. I think that’s the first time I’ve heard a writer with such a clear-cut start time. Where do you find inspiration for your stories?

From real life, of course. Not necessarily my life, but people and situations that I am familiar enough with to write about.

How much time do you spend writing?

I write when I get the muse. I'd say on average maybe 10-20 hours per month right now. It depends on what I have due. I write fast.

What’s your best piece of advice for new and aspiring writers?

Keep writing until something sells.


Give us
one writing tip that you personally find invaluable.

Make sure you have an internet presence and a "following" before you sell your first book or you won't have anyone out there to buy it.

Now for that off-the-cuff stuff I mentioned. If you could ask any person, living or dead, a random question—what would you ask of whom?

I would ask my mom how big her house is in heaven. Just kidding. I don't know how to answer this. I just want all of my loved ones to be with Jesus after they leave this world.

What books are on your bedside table right now?

Dawn's Prelude by Tracie Peterson and The Triumph of Deborah by Eva Etzioni-Halevy

What word annoys you more than any other?

Preachy

Ha! Good one. What “super power” would you like to borrow for awhile?

The ability to eat whatever I want and not gain any weight.

We’d all like to borrow that one, I’m sure. Share a grammatical pet peeve…go ahead, sound off.

When people use “myriad” wrong and in just about every novel.

What color crayon best describes you on a good day? Bad day?

Good day would be green and bad day would be gray.

Thank you for hanging out at The Bookshelf for awhile, Michelle! Where can we find your books?

You can find most of them on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and CBD. Danger is on Amazon and on the Desert Breeze site and other places that sell ebooks.

Thanks again, and we hope you sell a million!

That would be nice. :)

Michelle Sutton is Editor-in-chief for Christian Fiction Online Magazine, a member of ACFW, and edgy fiction writer, a book reviewer, avid blogger, mother of two teens, wife, pet owner, government employee, and follower of Jesus Christ. She currently has three out of eleven of her novels in print. The rest of her books will be releasing through 2012.

No comments: