Monday, April 12, 2010

Author of Note: Debbie Taylor Williams

DEBBIE TAYLOR WILLIAMS


I’m delighted to welcome Debbie Taylor Williams. Please make yourself comfortable and enjoy our chat with this multi-published author and speaker.

Welcome to The Bookshelf, Debbie. We’ll be talking about your writing journey, and I also have a few just-for-fun questions. First, however, I’d like you to tell us a little about you as the everyday lady next door.

My hubby of almost 35 years is Keith Williams, whom I’m more in love with today than ever. We’re best friends and are parents to two adult children, Taylor and Lauren; who are married to Ali and Chris. I’m goofy over our sixteen month old grandson. I can hardly go into a store without buying him a jillion books and toys. Abby, our two year old lab, keeps us company on walks. I’m often in airports due to my speaking ministry. I lead P.R.A.Y. with Passion Conferences throughout the United States, as well as keynote at women’s events. It’s such a joy. I love serving the Lord.

Well, it’s a good life, living for the Lord! Would you share a little with us about how you got started as a writer? Was there an “aha” moment when you knew that’s what you wanted to do?

In 2004 I was asked to write Discovering His Passion. Later that year, New Hope Publishing asked me to write for them and If God is In Control, Why Do I Have a Headache was birthed. If God Is In Control, Why am I a Basket Case followed.

Howard Publishing, now Simon and Schuster, offered me two book contracts: Pray with Purpose, Live with Passion and Prayers of My Heart prayer journal.
Gary Myers, with Leafwood Publishers called and asked me to write The Plan A Woman in a Plan B World. Writing was obviously God’s idea, not mine. I didn’t start out as a writer. I began as a Bible teacher. The “ah a” moment came when I realized God was bringing writing opportunities into my life. He impressed on my heart the benefit of the written word, which remains long after the spoken word is forgotten.

What a wonderful experience! Where do you find inspiration for your stories?

Life! People, pets, conversations, funny stories, the news, and daily events coupled with the Holy Spirit and Bible provide inspiration.

How much time do you spend writing?
When I have a book deadline, I wake at 4 or 5 a.m. and may write for eight hours. Early morning is my best time to write because there are no interruptions and my mind is fresh to receive God’s Word.

What’s your best piece of advice for new and aspiring writers?

Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind. Begin each day kneeling at His feet. Listen to Him. Let Him direct your heart and mind.

Tell us about your new release, and why you wrote this book.

Women grow up dreaming of the life they hope to have. When things don’t go according to plan, a woman can become depressed, angry, and even fearful. The Plan A Woman in a Plan B World addresses nine “land mines” in our minds that left unchecked, can hurt us and others. Through three sections: Live Out Loud: Choosing to Disarm Land Mines of the Mind, Love Out Loud: Talking it Over with Friends, and Laugh Out Loud: Living with Joy and Humor, women learn to take charge of their thoughts and walk in the power of the Spirit.

What can we expect from you next?

A new book, The Plan A Mom in a Plan B World, will equip women to navigate through Plan B parenting challenges.

Now for those off-the-cuff questions I mentioned. If you could ask any person, living or dead, a random question – what question would you ask of whom?

What was it like to see the Risen Lord on Resurrection morning?
What books are on your bedside table right now?

My Utmost for His Highest, Killer Angels, and Who Switched Off My Brain

What word annoys you more than any other?

"Absolutely" is absolutely overused.

What super power would you like to borrow for awhile?

I agree with Paul in Philippians 3:10. I desire the power of Christ’s resurrection.

Thank you, Debbie, for hanging out at The Bookshelf with us! Where can readers find your books?

Lifeway, Family Christian, Mardel’s, Books a Million, Borders, Costco, Amazon and other stores; as well as my ministry, Hill Country Ministries,
www.debbietaylorwilliams.com.

Thanks again for being with us.

Thank you!

About Debbie:

Debbie Taylor Williams is the founder of Hill Country Ministries, an organization dedicated to spreading God’s Word and love and ministering to women. Best known as a passionate Biblical expositor, Debbie uses humor and practical illustrations to communicate spiritual truths to women throughout the nation. She is the author of Pray with Purpose, Live with Passion; Prayers of My Heart; If God Is In Control, Why Am I A Basket Case, and other books. She and her husband make their home in Kerrville, Texas. Learn more by visiting her popular web site: www.debbietaylorwilliams.com.

No comments: