Saturday, October 2, 2010

Author of Note: Mini Interview - Vickie McDonough


It’s a pleasure to welcome Vickie McDonough to The Bookshelf. Vickie is chiming in as an additional spotlight author this month, and you are in for a treat! This author’s sense of humor and lively writing style are amazing, and I know after chatting with her here, you’re going to want to look up her books.

Welcome to The Bookshelf, Vickie. Tell me…who is Vickie McDonough, the lady next door?

My favorite color is green, I love steak and fried chicken but don’t eat any kind of fish. I used to be an avid Coke fan but rarely drink one now as I’m working on losing weight. I love wearing jeans and hate dresses—believe it or not, I only own two dresses and neither of them fit since I’ve lost weight. :) I grew up attending a Pentecostal church and have been a Christian as long as I can remember.

I’m a wife of 35 years and mother of four grown sons. My oldest son, a restaurant manager, is married, and he and his wife have a four-year-old daughter, my only grandchild. My #2 son works at Walgreens, #3 son is deploying to Egypt next Sunday with the National Guard, and #4 son is a sophomore in college. I’m primary caregiver to my partially handicapped mother, so I go over to her house frequently and run errands for her. I also pick up my granddaughter from school and watch her two afternoons a week.

I was a tomboy most of my life, preferring sports to dolls when I was young, and as a teen, riding horses and my motorcycle over girly stuff like dressing up for the prom. I enjoy gardening and have flowers blooming almost year-round. I love reading historical fiction and traveling.

In case you can’t tell, I’m a detail person. I’m organized and don’t like clutter. I got my quirky sense of humor from my dad, who loved to tease and play jokes on people. If you meet me in a large group, I’ll probably be very quiet, but among my friends, I talk up more and crack jokes.

Wow! I feel like I know you so much better now. :) How did you get started as a writer?

I’ve read Christian fiction for over twenty-five years, ever since I discovered my first Janette Oke & Tracie Peterson books. One day, a story started running through my mind and wouldn’t go away. It got to where I couldn’t sleep at night, so I decided to write it down in hopes of making it go away. I finished that book and quickly wrote another one. Those books will never be published, but God used them to get my attention and to see the new direction He was taking me. Now, I’ve been writing almost ten years and have just sold my 27th book. That amazes me more than anyone.

Where do you find inspiration for your stories?

Inspiration is everywhere. In nature, in books I read, in something my granddaughter said, but my main inspiration comes from believing I’m walking the path God has for me at this time in my life. I pray as I write that God will speak through me—that I will be a tool He uses to touch readers’ hearts.

Give us a brief glimpse into “a day in the life of Vickie McDonough.”

In the early morning, I eat breakfast, go for a walk with my husband, and tend to chores and emails. My goal is to start writing by 10, but I don’t always make it. I normally write two – six hours a day, depending on whether I have to run errands for my partially-handicapped mom, babysit my granddaughter, or do family things. Then there are more emails, ACFW board stuff to do, and sometimes more writing. In the evenings, I may watch a little TV, read, or work on research or other writing-related stuff.

Busy some? Give us one writing tip that you personally find invaluable.

Read your manuscript out loud or listen to it through a verbal reading program like Natural Reader. You’ll hear mistakes that your eyes pass right over when you’re reading, because you’re so familiar with the material. I always try to do this before I turn in a manuscript or proposal.

What’s your newest release, and what inspired you to write it?

Second Chance Brides, book two in the Texas Boardinghouse Brides series, released the first of September. It’s the sequel to The Anonymous Bride.

Shannon and Leah, two mail-order brides, came to Lookout, Texas, as mail-order brides. They both expected to marry the town marshal, but when he married another woman, they were stuck in Lookout, without any means to support themselves. I just had to find out what happened to them, plus my editor wanted another book in the series, so I wrote Second Chance Brides. A contract and deadline are great inspiration.

I also have another book that just released, Christmas Mail Order Brides, a Christmas novella collection. It tells the story of four mail-order brides who travel the transcontinental railroad to marry men they’ve never met. The other authors in this collection are Susan Page Davis, Therese Stenzel, and Carrie Turansky.

What can we expect from you next?

Next year, I have a historical Heartsong trilogy set in South Carolina that will be coming out. Two of the books are set in the 1700s and one is in the late 1800s. The titles are Mutiny of the Heart, Indigo Dreams, and Dueling Hearts.

Sounds like lots of good stuff for your readers to look forward to! Where can we find your books?

Most of my books are available online at Christianbook.com and Amazon.com. Some of the more recent books are available in Christian book stores and Wal-Mart.

About Vickie:
Award-winning author Vickie McDonough has lived in Oklahoma all her life, except for a year when she and her husband lived on a kibbutz in Israel. Vickie is the author of 20 books and novellas, including the Texas Boardinghouse Brides series. Historical Christian romance is her favorite genre to read and write. Vickie is currently the ACFW treasurer and a founding member of WIN, an ACFW chapter in Tulsa, OK. She is a member of RWA, CAN, Women Writing the West, OKRWA, and OWFI. Vickie’s books have won the Inspirational Reader's Choice Contest, Texas Gold, and the ACFW Noble Theme contest, and she has been a multi-year finalist in ACFW’s BOTY contest.

2 comments:

~~~Susan Hollaway said...

Delia and Vickie, I enjoyed the interview. Very nice!

Delia Latham said...

Thanks, Susan! I always enjoy talking with Vickie.