Thursday, March 3, 2011

Notes of Devotion: Trish Perry

Our devotion for this edition is taken from
Delight Yourself in the Lord...Even on Bad Hair Days, a March 1 release
from Summerside Press. A collection of devotions by: Sandra D. Bricker,
Kristin Billerbeck, Diann Hunt, Debby Mayne and Trish Perry,
it is available everywhere books are sold.

I’ll Be a Fool for You
by Trish Perry

“Fear of man will prove to be a snare,
but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.”
Proverbs 29:25

Several years ago, a friend of mine had just heard from her sister-in-law, Kerry, who was absolutely floored. She had been running errands when she stopped at a convenience store for a soda. As she walked in, she felt the profound presence of God and was certain she heard Him instruct her to go to the back of the store and stand on her head.

I’m not making this up. But, honestly, what would you have done? I’m not sure I’m coordinated enough to even attempt a headstand, let alone worry about how foolish I’d look.

This dear sister in Christ, though, fought the fear of what others would think, and in total trust of God’s will, did exactly as she felt she was divinely instructed. Within seconds, a female employee walked out of the store’s back room, took one look at Kerry, screamed, and started babbling nearly incoherently.

Kerry immediately righted herself and took the crying woman in hand. Apparently the employee, a borderline atheist, had given up on her lonely, difficult life. She was in the back room, crying and contemplating the worst. In the midst of her depression, she called out to God. She had never been able to accept His existence or believe He loved her, because the pain in her life seemed too bad to co-exist with a loving God. Still, in her desperation she shared her anger with Him.

“I’ll tell you what,” she cried, “I’ll believe you exist when I walk out of here and see someone standing on their head.” Then she walked out of the back room and into the Kingdom.

Now, if God put it in my head that there was someone contemplating suicide who would change her mind about Him and about life if I would only stand on my head in the middle of a convenience store, I’d surely put aside my fear of what others might think. I’d probably even recruit someone to help me get myself upside down. But to “hear” the instructions Kerry heard and obey without knowing why? I think I’d have to hear them like Charlton Heston heard the burning bush. I’d need to be very certain before I’d trust that what I “heard” was the Lord, before I’d set aside the possible embarrassment of misunderstanding. That’s the “fear of man” referred to in today’s verse.

Joshua marched around Jericho. Gideon dismissed all but 300 men before taking on the Midianite hordes. Jesus’ adoptive father, Joseph, married a girl his contemporaries might have stoned. How loudly would you need to hear His voice before it would drown out the judgment of your fellow man?

Today’s Prayer: Lord, help me to hear Your voice today and always. Help me to fear and trust You more than I fear what people will think because I obeyed You. Amen. —tp


About Trish:
Award-winning novelist Trish Perry has written eight inspirational romances for Harvest House Publishers, Summerside Press, and Barbour Publishing, as well as two devotionals for Summerside Press. She has served as a columnist and as a newsletter editor over the years, as well as a 1980s stockbroker and a board member of the Capital Christian Writers organization in Washington, D.C. She holds a degree in Psychology.
Trish’s latest novel, Unforgettable, releases in March, and Tea for Two releases in April. She invites you to visit her at http://www.trishperry.com/.

2 comments:

Donna B said...

What a wonderful post! I too would have a hard time determining if it was truly God's voice I was hearing. This is one of my prayers also - that I will hear his still small voice amidst the busy-ness of life.

Delia Latham said...

This post really makes you think, doesn't it? Am I REALLY tuned in to God's voice, and how willing am I to obey His urging...no matter the consequences?